Ultimate Moving Checklist
Get Your Moving Quote
You have your new home or office all picked out and now it is time to move! The first thing to do is to make a moving checklist that includes all of the tasks that need to be completed. Let the fear of forgetting to do something disappear with our ultimate checklist for moving. To help keep you on track and eliminate the stress of moving, müv has gathered the most important information. The list details the essential steps, and includes a suggested timeline. If you’re starting less than eight weeks before your move date, that’s okay – You can customize this list according to your own timeline, and add steps or leave out ones that don’t apply.
Two months out
- Start saving for moving expenses (packing supplies, movers, hotel stay, storage, etc.)
- Create a “moving file” that includes all documentation and records associated with your move.
- If you’re hiring movers, schedule an in-home estimate or get a free online moving quote.
- Do a complete home inventory of what stays and what goes.
- Collect any unwanted items – it’s time to purge!
- Start packing items that you don’t need until after you move (storage items, filing cabinets, holiday décor, gardening equipment, etc.)
- List things that need repaired, replaced or cleaned up before you move.
- If you have children moving to a new school district, now is a good time to register them with their new school and start transferring their records.
Six weeks before moving day
- Hire your moving company and finalize your contract.
- Donate unused items to charities (keep donation records to deduct at tax time).
- Plan a garage sale or sell any items left after donations on online marketplaces.
- Get copies of school, medical, and pet veterinarian records.
- Let your bank and credit card companies know that you will be moving.
- If you need to change healthcare practitioners, ask your current providers for referrals in your new location.
- Label video, audio and computer cables and take pictures of the plugs for easy reassembly.
- Take measurements of your new home or office to make sure your furniture will fit. Measurements are also helpful if you need to buy items to fill your new space.
A month until move in
- Arrange for your movers to assess what needs to be moved.
- File your change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.
- If you’re packing your items yourself, buy moving supplies – things like boxes, tape, markers, moving blankets and plastic bins.
- Pack your items room by room – make sure to organize your items, wrap anything that’s fragile, and label your boxes.
- Contact your utility and service providers (electric, gas, telephone, internet, cable, water and lawn service, insurance agent,) to arrange a date to discontinue or transfer services.
- If you’re currently renting, arrange for your landlord to return your security deposit.
- Collect any items that you let friends and family borrow.
- Arrange for your pets and plants to be transported.
- Use up items you will not be able to move easily, like frozen food, pantry items and aerosols.
Only two weeks left
- Avoid having to rearrange heavy items after moving day by sketching your home or office and marking where you want your items to be placed.
- If you’re moving during the week, let your employer know that you’ll be taking time off work.
- Collect valuables and documents that will travel with you (not in moving boxes):
- Birth certificates
- Marriage licenses
- Vehicle titles and registrations
- Insurance paperwork
- Medical records
- Bank records
- School records
- Veterinary records
- Fine jewelry and valuable items
One week and counting
- Pay any outstanding bills with local businesses.
- Set aside items you’re carrying with you, like:
- Cell phones, tablets and chargers
- Prescription medicine
- Car keys
- Travel clothing
- Collect items you’ve hidden, like spare house or car keys.
- Get medications refilled.
- Pack an “Open Me First” box with essentials like:
- Light bulbs
- Basic tool set
- Kitchen essentials if you plan to cook
- Deep clean your current and new home or office.
- Arrange for deliveries of any new items like appliances, and furniture.
- Empty and defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
Moving day has arrived
- Exchange cell phone numbers with your movers and give them precise directions to your new home or office.
- Take pictures of your current home or office and perform a final inspection.
- Check all closets and drawers to make sure you are not leaving anything behind.
- Lock all windows and doors to protect the home or office that you are leaving.
- Leave garage door openers and keys for the next owner.
- Make sure someone is available to direct movers and answer questions.
- Make sure you have your payment ready for the moving company and cash on hand should you like to tip your moving crew.
You made it!
After checking to make sure utilities are set up in your new home or office, it’s time to catch your breath. You made it! Hopefully by following our ultimate moving checklist, the process went smoothly. There will be plenty of time for unpacking tomorrow – now it’s time to relax and celebrate and job well done!
Few simple steps
Contact our business
Reach out to our Florida movers by phone, email or through our website.
Get your free quote
Give müv the details of your upcoming relocation and receive a no-obligation moving quote and a tailored plan of action.
Enjoy your relocation
Forget about the stress of moving while one of the top moving companies in Florida handles your move.